Modular Building Regulations Guide

An essential tool for sustainable development, design and construction for modular systems

Building assessment is an integral part of any modular construction that Cotaplan meticulously follow guidelines in accordance to the laws of building and design.  There are in the region of 5 important industry guidelines that play a part in a modular building project.

What are building regulations for?

These building regulations for different projects are enforced by construction advisor’s. Building regulations ensure work carried out without putting a project at risk. Before any project can begin, the plans must first be approved by The Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) which sets the national policy for building contracts in the U.K, but there are other organizations for each country that also set standards for construction advisors. Planning permission must be applied for and agents are usually hired for this purpose. Before the plans are approved, size, external appearance, and layout must be discussed along with the time frame. After it is approved architects are appointed and construction can begin.

There are different regulations for each type of building also depending on where. For example England and Wales has the LABC which has similar but separate regulations compared to the DCLG. They are not just for making sure buildings don’t collapse, which is important, but also to ensure the building adequately adheres to national requirements for power and fuel usage.

Building regulations for England and Wales consist of very strict power rules regarding consumption rates for example “Primary energy consumption rates for new buildings 26A. Where a building (other than a dwelling) is erected, must not exceed the target primary energy consumption rate for the building which has been approved pursuant to regulation 25C(a).” If buildings do not follow these regulations in England the building may become condemned. Here is a list of authoritative guidelines:

Association of Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP)

There are also many different associations and organizations that set standards of their own. For example there is the Association of Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP). They set regulations regarding fire safety in most buildings.There are differences in fire regulations when it comes to public places such as schools, libraries, office buildings, and restaurants compared to private places like people’s homes.

Fire and Regulations website:

Fire Building Regulation Organizations

Another organization that works closely with the ASFP is the British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association (BASFA). They make sure fire sprinklers are working right and where they are supposed to be in public places. Construction advisors also make sure these needs are met.

British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association website:

Construction Industry Council (CIC)

An organization relating more along the line of construction is the Construction Industry Council (CIC). They specialise in creating other important policies construction projects must follow. For more information on this organization at

Construction Industry Council website:

Department of Health

There is also the Department of Health which makes codes to make sure buildings aren’t threat to people with health conditions such as asthma. If a building for the public is not presumed healthy it will be condemned and torn down. More information about this is available at

Department of Health website:

Building Control Alliance

Another building association, the Building Control Alliance, is an industry group that comprises of inspectors and other groups dedicated to check the maintenance of buildings and make sure they are being up kept correctly. Dangers can appear over time and that is what inspectors are for. More information on the BCA is available at

Building Control Alliance website:

UK Green Building Council

Help to improve the UK building infrastructure, radically improving the sustainability in refurbishment and new build construction

UK Green Building Council website:

Zero Carbon Hub

All about producing zero carbon homes and buildings policys

Zero Carbon Hub website:

Oil Firing Technical Association

Representing the oil heating and cooking industry in the UK establishing the standards for competence within the domestic and commercial oil heating and cooking industry.

OFTEC website:

Gas Safety Register

The official list of gas registered engineers in the UK for installing boilers, central heating and gas fuelled equipment.

Gas Saftey Register website:


For an immediate response, contact us today